Classification: Full time, some weekday evenings and weekends required. Some travel required.
Reports to: CEO
Primary Office Location: North Hollywood, California or Carlsbad, California.
We are a dynamic organization with a rich history, collaborative culture and excellent board/staff relation. We are committed to honoring the service of women veterans and empowering their future. Foundation for Women Warriors serves an average of 900+ women and children annually. Our core programs and strategic partnerships address the top 4 needs of women veterans: housing, child care, jobs and education. Our culture is deeply rooted in upholding our core values: integrity, honor, commitment, community and excellence.
Mission: “Honor Her Service and Empower Her Future”
We serve women veterans and their children so that their next mission is clear and continues to impact the world. We provide support in the form of emergency financial assistance, childcare assistance, resource and referral services, and professional development to women veterans. Foundation for Women Warriors empowers the financial sustainability and professional development of Women Warriors. Every step is dedicated to supporting these outstanding women to navigate obstacles and realize their maximum potential after their service career.
Under the general direction of the CEO, the Development Associate is responsible for maintaining and increasing funding from donors through effective identification, cultivation and solicitation. The focus of this position will be to identify and deepen relationships with individuals with a capacity to invest in the success of our nation’s women veterans.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Fund Development: Coordinate, implement, and assess fund development activities. Participate in the activities of the Board of Directors, Marketing Committee and/or specific events committees as required; and provide strategic follow up to attendees. Assist in the planning and be responsible to lead the implementation and execution of the Annual Appeal, fundraising events and spring campaigns; Work closely with the CEO on all fundraising activities.
Donor Relations: Maintain donor database; Identify, cultivate, solicit, steward and retain qualified prospects and donors; manage a portfolio of relationships, and apply a moves management approach to the portfolio, with a custom cultivation strategy for each donor. Demonstrate a keen sense of curiosity for donors – seeking to understand each donor’s motivation to give by asking the right questions – and able to personally adapt as needed to meet the needs of donors. Develop and implement strategies to enhance communications with prospective donors, corporate sponsors, foundations and existing donors. Cultivate and strengthen relationships with new and existing donors and supporters. Routinely network and interact with executives, donors, and volunteers for the purpose of cultivating personal relationships and developing personal giving. Collaborate with colleagues when corporate giving interests are expressed. Assist with the planning and implementation of two annual recognition/cultivation event for major donors each fiscal year with specific responsibility for filling the venue and meeting event revenue goals. Additionally, assist with other FFWW events that could be used as tools to cultivate donors and volunteers. Work with staff and volunteers to coordinate and expedite donor acknowledgement; coordinate the above with the CEO.
Grant Writing and Reporting: Researches and identifies potential new funding sources (including private foundations, corporate foundations and government contracts). Responsible for conducting the full range of activities required to prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to foundation and corporate sources. Coordinate with the Communications Department to ensure consistent branding, graphic standards and marketing for all campaigns and events; develop copy/content for fund development activities. Develop and draft clear, compelling LOIs, and proposals outlining our programs and services to secure funding from foundation, corporate, and government sources. Identifies potential funding and grant sources for programs and/or general operating. Develops response to requests for proposal (RFP’s) and letters of intent on grants and funding. Cultivates and nurtures relationships with current/potential funders, relevant agencies, and core stakeholders. Manages and maintains accurate information and schedules on reporting deadlines and other grant requirements, when required. Provides strategies, tactics, and tools for funding opportunities. Assist in data analysis and the design of data presentation. Creates templates to streamline the grant proposal process.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university with a minimum of 1-2 years of experience working in nonprofit fund development and/or community relations, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience in women or military programs and services highly desirable.
- Excellent computer literacy skills. Experience with donor databases, Classy, Little Green Light, etc.
- Experience in supporting the execution of donor events and demonstrated follow up with prospective donors post event.
- Experience cultivating relationships, communicating and working with volunteers, donors and staff.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, written and oral communication skills (including strong public speaking skills), proof reading, research, and analytical skills.
- Experience managing multiple campaigns simultaneously with adherence to critical deadlines.
- Ability to manage a budget and track expenditures.
- Strong team player who also works well autonomously.
- The capacity to develop and maintain positive and productive relationships with donors, volunteers, Board of Directors, and staff.
- Local knowledge of the Southern California areas philanthropic community.
- Experience and demonstrated success in a working on annual campaigns and donor recognition programs.
- Formal grant writing training/courses highly desired
- Ability to work flexible hours, weekdays/evenings/weekends as needed and required
To Apply: Email cover letter and resume to [email protected]. Absolutely no phone calls. Applicants who fail to submit both requested documents will not be considered.Back To Blog